Monday, 7 February 2011

30 Day challenge: Day 8

Day 8 11: Put your iPod on shuffle and write 10 songs that pop up


I didn't get bored with the concept of a post a day, but the intervening topics didn't really interest me, so I skipped to this one. Being in the UK I use Spotify a whole lot, so I'm going to go with 10 randoms from my starred playlist. I'll link to them in Spotify and maybe YouTube or something

Skanking Song - [spunge] (or this link)

It reminds me of fun times when I was young enough to not be the weird old man down the front of gig. There was dancing and cider and stolen kisses from girls I never saw again, good times.

Take Me Anywhere - Tegan and Sara (or this link)

This is a song that totally reminds me of San Francisco, going over there to meet up with a girl I met online and actually ended up in a bit of a relationship with. It's a bit of goofy indie pop that makes me feel hopeful about life.

This Addiction - Alkaline Trio (or this link)

I'd just started nursing when I fell back in love with Alkaline Trio. Yes, I know it's emo power-pop and I'm too old and happy for that sort of nonsense, but it's great to run to and even better to thrash around to in the kitchen when you're cooking dinner.

Anaesthetist's Hymn - Amateur Transplants (or this link)

I love the Amateur Transplants. They are a pair of junior (probably not that junior anymore) doctors who have a knack for doing comedy covers of songs. And this is easily one of their finest examples. And it gets the role of the anaesthetist in the OR just right.

Autoclave - The Mountain Goats (or this link)

Possibly my favourite band right now. John Darnielle has a wry, self-deprecating sense of humour and a soulfulness that comes across in his music so clearly. This song is a warning to potential partners, but it's all said with a smirk.

What Sarah Said - Death Cab for Cutie (or this link)

The other band I spend a great deal of time listening to because of the lyrics. This is just an incredible song which sums up the despair and loneliness of waiting for a loved one to die or get better in an ICU.

Samson - Regina Spektor (or this link)

I'm kind of embarrassed that I've only just found out about Regina Spektor. Her voice is beautiful. Oh, and have a look at the Laughing With video. That too, is pretty awesome.

Meddle - Little Boots (or this link)

This is another kitchen classic. It may even lead to throwing shapes and being generally a bit embarrassing.

Mr Brightside - The Killers (or this link)

Oh, this is a being dumped song that dovetails nicely into either the Alkaline Trio track or the Tegan and Sara, seeing as they all vaguely remind me of the same girl. That said, it's a cracking track in its own right and well worth a listen.

Sick 2 Def - Plan B (or this link)

This is the sound of an angry guy born on a London council estate. It's a dark, challenging song, not for the faint-hearted, but the lyrics are inspired and show an intelligence beneath the posturing and violent language.

Hope you enjoy some, if not all, of the above. Let me know what you liked or what you didn't :)

3 comments:

  1. 'Samson' has been a favorite of mine for about a year now.

    Last year I was walking with my ipod on shuffle it came on (somehow I hadn't ever listened to all my Regina Spektor albums yet). Anyway, it gave me chills then, and still does.

    If you like her stuff you might enjoy some old Fiona Apple stuff, I think her album "Extraordinary Machine" is killer.

    Speaking of Killers...I am embarrassed that I only discovered them this summer. "Human" is my favorite track to start a run with.

    ReplyDelete