Monday, 7 February 2011

Bicycle vs. Car

Sooooooooo...

One big meaty hole, to go, please.
I've officially had my first proper crash on the streets of London. It hurt but it was one I could walk away from. I was on the cycle, she was in a car and decided to turn left immediately in front of me. I pulled on the panic handles and slid into the passenger door on her car and then slightly underneath it. Or at least my bike did, I tumbled off to the side and lay on my back for a while considering how quickly everything had happened.

I got up and exclaimed, using some rather salty language how surprised I was at this occurance, and how the woman driving should pay more attention to other road users.

No damage was done to my bike and I seemed to have no more than skinned knees and elbows so we left it at that and went our separate ways.

2 hours into my PBL session and one of my knees was still bleeding from what looked like a puncture wound caused by the head of an allen bolt. As my PBL-mates became progressively more grossed out by the blood dripping down my leg, I decided to head on down to the A+E dept (one of the joys of having your med school attached to a hospital). I got an x-ray for my troubles (and first hand experience of surgical emphysema - it crackles!) and a good scrub down with betadine at the hands of the A+E consultant.

It's not going to stop me riding around London, though I might go a little slower. I'd forgotten how painful it is to have a hot shower with skinned knees.

2 comments:

  1. Damn women drivers. ;)
    Well, I am very glad you weren't seriously hurt, doll.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your usage of the word "salty"...nice! Sorry to hear of your wounds, keep your eyes peeled next time for terrible drivers.

    ReplyDelete